Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Blessed are the job seekers

So much for trying to work my way out of this predicament I'm in. Thought I would get a little motivated and go to a job interview this morning. Big mistake.
Granted, I was still a little groggy when I woke up at 8:30, partially because I didn't get off my other job until 11:30 Monday evening, and due to the fact I was forced on a midnight run to Kinko's to make 3 copies of my resume.
Usually I don't mind going to Kinko's -- I have always been intrigued about that place and the way it radiates the vibe of a place to really get things done and possibly turn your life around -- but I don't like making a red-eyed dash in the clutches of a nervous breakdown just because my friends are too lazy to make a trip to Kinko's themselves.
Anyway, after I make my trip to Kinko's (actually two trips because the first time they opened the UNCORRECTED version of my resume on my flash drive) I settle down for my nap around 2:30 a.m. after setting the alarm clock to go off in five hours.
Of course my rest was anything but complete as my mind spun off its axis with worries about bills, the holidays and, of course, the interview I had in six hours.
So, without my usual Coors Light nightcap I force myself into a troubled sleep, but finally made it to 7:30 and was surprised to find that I was relatively fresh, my eyes were a little cloudy and my brain muddled but I felt I could make it and stay sharp throughout the ordeal.
So I get dressed, shaved and prime myself for some of the anticipated questions. I think of four words that best describe myself while I drink my morning Dr. Pepper and watch Headline News, and I also think of where I want to be in 10 years.
After I spend a little while in that routine I head out the door and make the 30 minute drive to the Galleria area of Houston, where the interview is scheduled.
When I first got to the place I noticed a lot of other people that looked relatively unsure of their surroundings, not a good sign -- all indications are it's going to be a group interview.
And right when I was getting the urge to kick out all the windows and jump five stories down to my car, a man walked out of a conference room and told us to all go inside for a group interview.
Bingo. I called it, yet I'm totally disappointed that I didn't see the signs earlier.
And as if the group interview wasn't enough of a soul crusher I walk into a room filled with snappy visuals illustrating the difference between a "Level I representative" a "Level II representative," and so on. Mingled in with the charts and graphs pasted to the wall are the words "Unlimited Income Potential." Now for those of you used to these kind of interviews, you know what is next: a thirty-minute presentation peppered with "ground-floor opportunity" and "incomes up to $3,000 a week," but no mention of the ACTUAL job description.
So I sit there in my anger, dismayed that I was actually reeled into another one of THOSE interviews. Halfway into nawing through my lower lip, I walked out midway through the presentation, good manners be damned. I just don't have the patience for this kind of stuff anymore. Looks like I need to ask more questions while I'm setting an appointment for an interview. Kids, learn from my mistakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home